Crunchy Chewy Cassava Fries

I love cassava, but for a long time, I did not imagine that fried cassava wedges would be "a thing." I also thought they would be difficult to make. Cutting hard cassava into long wedges would have to be a chore. Not to mention, all that oil to deep-fry them in.

Cassava fries in my own kitchen!


Just about a year ago in Tobago, Bunty and I had a meal at Blue Waters Inn on the way to Charlotteville. Fish and chips was on the menu: what arrived at our table was the most elegant platter of crispy batter-fried mahimahi, a crunchy salad and a serving of fries. Cassava fries! Well, I've been a fan since then.

Satisfying meal at Blue Waters Inn: cassava chips, batter-fried mahimahi, salad.

Would I be able to make these in my own kitchen? I decided to try with a small piece of boiled cassava. The result was outstanding! Most of all, it was so easy.

Just boil the cassava, allow it to cool, cut in strips or wedges. Fry in coconut oil . Turn. Drain on absorbent paper. Sprinkle salt and serve. Crunchy on the outside, these chips are firm and chewy inside. Enjoy!

(Caution: the starch in cassava burns easily. Fry at medium heat. Just use enough oil to cover the bottom. They don't have to go deep brown; you'll know when the outside is crisp.)

Boil logs of cassava, drain, remove the centre, cut in long strips.

Comments